- Serves: 12
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 250 g butter
- 500 g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
- 200 g caster sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 clove, crushed
- 100 g luxury dried fruit
- 1 large egg
1. Rub the butter and flour together in a large bowl.
2. Fold in the sugar, spices and dried fruit.
3. Add the egg and mix to a stiff dough.
4. Dust a clean work surface with a little flour and roll the dough out to a thickness of ½ cm. Stamp out rounds with a scone cutter.
5. Heat a large griddle or heavy bottomed frying pan and cook the cakes fairly briskly over a medium heat for about 2 minutes, until golden. Turn them over and cook for a further 2 minutes.
6. Sprinkle with caster sugar and serve warm with butter, ice cream or clotted cream. Alternatively, transfer to a wire rack to cool and serve at room temperature.
Rate This Recipe