- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Effort: medium
- oil, for greasing
- shortcrust pastry, made with 250g plain flour and 125g fat
- 4 large cooking apples, such as Bramley, peeled, cored and sliced
- 150 g sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 150 g wensleydale cheese, sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Lightly grease a 25cm pie dish.
2. Roll out half the pastry and line the pie dish. Line with foil and baking beans. Bake blind for about 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, put the apples in a saucepan with a splash of water. Cover and cook over low heat for a minute or so until slightly softened. Stir in the sugar.
4. Place half the apples in the cooked pastry case. Layer the cheese slices over the apples and then cover with the remaining apples.
5. Roll out the remaining pastry. Dampen the edges of the pie dish and cover with the pastry. Lightly brush the top of the pie with water and sprinkle with sugar.
6. Bake for 25-35 minutes until golden brown.
Rate This Recipe