- Serves: 24 pastry bites
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the pastry
- 350 g prepared puff pastry, chilled
- 75 g extra mature West Country Farmhouse cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 egg yolk, mixed with 1 tbsp water
For the topping
- 110 g West Country Farmhouse cheddar cheese
- 2 leeks, finely sliced
- 25 g butter
- 1 lime
- pinches grated nutmeg
- pinches freshly ground black pepper
- 110 g rainbow trout fillets, skinned and cut into thin strips
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Roll out the pastry to a 25cm x 10cm rectangle. Sprinkle the top two-thirds of the pastry with the grated cheese. Fold the bottom third up to cover the middle third and then fold the top third over this. Give the pastry a quarter turn. This incorporates a layer of cheese into the puff pastry.
2. Roll out the pastry to the thickness of a £1 coin. Cut into 5cm squares and place on a baking sheet. Brush with the egg glaze.
3. Thinly slice the cheddar cheese into similar size squares and use to cover each pastry square.
4. Lightly sauté the shredded leek in the butter for 2 - 3 minutes. Use half the lime to squeeze juice over the leeks. Season well and spoon the leeks onto the cheese covered pastries. Top with strips of trout.
5. Place pastries on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment and bake for 15-20 minutes until the pastry is well risen and golden.
6. Garnish with thin slices of lime and serve warm.
Rate This Recipe