- Serves: 24 cheese straws
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes 20 mins plus chilling time
- Effort: easy
- 225 g plain flour
- pinches salt
- 25 g sunflower seeds
- 25 g walnuts, coarsely ground
- 75 g butter, chilled
- 75 g extra mature West Country Farmhouse cheddar cheese
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp cold water
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Sieve the flour and salt into a mixing bowl and stir in the sunflower seeds and roughly ground walnuts.
2. Coarsely grate the butter into the flour along with the cheese. Add egg yolks and water and combine together using a fork and then by hand.
3. Transfer mix onto a work surface lightly dusted with flour and knead until smooth.
4. Roll out to a rectangle, about the thickness of a £1 coin.
5. Cut into pencil length strips and carefully transfer to a baking sheet lined with baking parchment.
6. Bake until golden brown in colour and crisp. Cool on baking sheet for 2 - 3 minutes and leave to harden before transferring to a cooling rack.
7. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days. These straws taste great when served with tomato salsa or olives.
Rate This Recipe