- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes or up to 8 hrs in a slow cooker
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp Jamaican curry powder
- 500 g pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 400 g coconut milk
- 3 tbsp red lentils
- 300 ml vegetable stock
- 110 g cherry tomatoes
- 100 g spinach
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- small bunch coriander, chopped
Tips and Suggestions
If using a slow cooker, complete step 1 if you have time before adding the remaining ingredients except the cherry tomatoes and spinach, which should be added 10 minutes before the cooking time is up. If you dont have time for step 1, simply add all the ingredients to a slow cooker except the cherry tomatoes and spinach. Cook on low for up to 8 hours or on high for 5-6 hours.
If you're looking for more ways to use your slow cooker, take a look at our top 10 slow cooker recipes
To make your own Jamaican curry powder, grind together 2 tsp coriander seeds, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp anise seeds, ½ tsp allspice berries, ½ tsp fenugreek seeds and 2½ tsp ground turmeric. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
1. Heat the coconut oil in a casserole dish and sauté the onion and garlic until soft. Add the curry powder and continue cooking for a further minute.
2. Add all the remaining ingredients except the cherry tomatoes and spinach to the pot. Bring to a simmer and cook until the butternut squash is fork tender and the lentils are soft. Add in the spinach and cherry tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes.
3. Scatter over some coriander and a wedge of lime to serve.
For more vegetarian dinners, take a look at our vegetarian recipe collection
Rate This Recipe