- Serves: 1-2
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the cheese fondue
- 50 g butter
- 50 g flour
- 100 ml milk
- 40 g Montgomery cheddar, grated
- pinch nutmeg
For the asparagus
- 4 white asparagus, spears, woody ends removed
- 2 thick slices sourdough, cut into fingers
- drizzle olive oil
- 4 slices proscuitto
1. For the fondue: melt the butter in a pan, then stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes. Slowly whisk in half of the milk, until smooth and slightly thickened, then whisk in the remaining milk. Cook over a low heat for a further 2-3 minutes, then stir in the grated cheese to melt. Once the cheese has melted and the sauce is smooth, add a pinch of nutmeg and season, to taste, with salt.
2. For the asparagus: blanch the asparagus in a pan of boiling salted water for 5-6 minutes, or until tender but not softened. Drain and refresh in ice water.
3. Lightly drizzle the bread fingers with olive oil and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Toast lightly on a griddle pan for 1-2 minutes on both sides, or until golden-brown all over.
4. To serve, wrap the asparagus spears in the prosciutto and serve alongside the cheese fondue and toasted sourdough fingers.
Rate This Recipe