- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 35 minutes plus 1 hr freezing time
- Effort: medium
- 250 g white chocolate
- 5 eggs, separated
- 250 g caster sugar
- 4 digestive biscuits, crumbled
- 4 gingernut biscuits, crumbled
- 300 ml double cream
- 1 kg rhubarb
- 1 vanilla pods
- 100 ml water
1. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of barely simmering water.
2. Whisk the egg yolks with 100g of the sugar until pale and mousse-like. In a separate bowl, whip the double cream until thickened.
3. Stir the melted chocolate into the egg yolk mixture, followed by the cream. 4. Whisk the egg whites until soft peak stage and fold into the mousse mixture using a metal spoon.
8. Stir the crumbled biscuits into the chocolate mixture and spoon a 500g capacity loaf tin, four teacups, or ramekins. Freeze for at least an hour - or until firm.
9. To prepare the rhubarb, wash and cut the stems into small lozenge shapes and tip into a heavy-bottomed saucepan with the remaining sugar, vanilla pod and the water. Simmer for 30-40 minutes until thick and almost jam-like in consistency.
10. If you've frozen the dessert in a loaf tin, cut into slices and serve with the rhubarb preserve. For an added flourish, dust with cocoa powder before serving and accompany with raspberry puree.
Rate This Recipe