- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 20 minutes including melting time
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: hard
For the stack
- 4 x 100 g bars white chocolate, broken into squares
- raspberries, to decorate
For the Italian meringue
- 500 g caster sugar
- 200 ml water
- 8 egg whites
For the soaked raspberries
- 2 punnet raspberries
- 1-2 tbsp kirsch
For the dark chocolate mousse
- 500 g dark chocolate, 70% cocoa solids broken into squares
- 300 ml double cream
- 50-75 ml kirsch
- 350 g Italian meringues, (see above)
Tips and Suggestions
It's essential to use high-quality white chocolate suitable for cooking - bars aimed at children have a high level of added vegetable fat. Suitable brands include Lindt Excellence, Valrhona and Green and Black's.
1. To make the Italian meringue, combine the caster sugar and water in a heavy-based saucepan, bring to a boil and simmer until the mixture is until pale, thick and syrupy.
2. Meanwhile, whisk the egg whites until stiff. Then, with the machine still running, gradually add the hot sugar syrup in a thin stream, and whisk continuously until the meringue is cold. Cover and place in the fridge until needed.
3. To prepare the soaked raspberries, place the fruit in a small bowl and sprinkle with kirsch. Set aside to marinate.
4. For the chocolate mousse, melt the chocolate in a bowl suspended over a pan of simmering water. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, lightly whip the cream. Fold in the melted chocolate, kirsch and 350g of the Italian meringue. Cover and place in the fridge until needed.
5. Melt the white chocolate in a bowl suspended over a pan of simmering water. Pour the melted chocolate over a slab of marble or other cool, flat surface and leave to cool. When set, dip a round cutter in hot water and use it to cut out discs of chocolate.
6. To assemble the millefeuille: fill a piping bag with the chocolate mousse mixture. Place a disc of white chocolate on a serving plate. Pipe a layer of chocolate mousse on top and add a layer of raspberries. Repeat in layers and top with a final white chocolate disc.
7. Assemble the other portions with the remaining ingredients, then decorate each plate with the kirsch-marinated raspberries and serve.
Rate This Recipe