- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 115 g unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 sticks celery
- 3 leeks, finely chopped
- 1.2 litres fresh vegetable stock
- 600 ml milk
- 500 g arborio risotto rice
- 300 ml dry white wine
- 55 g parmesan, grated
- 4 large eggs
- freshly ground black pepper
- green salad, with balsamic vinegar dressing, to serve
1. Heat 55g of unsalted butter and the olive oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan.
2. Add the onion, garlic, celery and leek and cook very gently over a low heat for 10 minutes, stirring now and then.
3. In a separate pan, gently heat together the vegetable stock and milk.
4. Add the Arborio rice to the onion mixture and mix well, increasing the heat to medium.
5. Add the white wine to the rice and mix well.
6. Add 2 ladlefuls of the hot milk mixture to the rice and cook, stirring often until the liquid has been absorbed.
7. Continue adding ladlefuls of the hot milk mixture to the rice and stirring it until absorbed until all the milk mixture has been added and the rice is tender but retains a little bite, around 20 minutes.
8. Remove the pan from direct heat and vigorously stir in 40g of the Parmesan cheese and the remaining butter.
9. Preheat the grill on the highest possible heat.
10. Divide the risotto among 4 warm heatproof serving plates and create a well in the centre of each portion.
11. Crack a raw egg into each well. Sprinkle the eggs with the remaining Parmesan cheese and season with freshly ground pepper.
12. Grill the risotto portions until the egg is cooked to soft yolk, around 3 minutes.
13. Serve with a green leaf salad tossed with a balsamic vinegar dressing.
Rate This Recipe