- Serves: makes 2 litres
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1.8 kg chicken carcasses
- 2 leeks, trimmed
- 4 stalks celery
- 1 large onion, peeled
- 170 g white button mushrooms
- 1 bouquet garni, (parsley stalks, peppercorns, bay leaf, clove)
1. In a large pan, cover the chicken bones with plenty of cold water and bring to the boil. As soon as the water is boiling, remove from the heat and drain, then refresh the chicken bones under cold running water.
2. Put the refreshed bones into a clean large pot and add 2.3 litres of cold water. Bring back up to the boil and turn down to a simmer. Use a ladle to skim off any scum or fat that may rise to the surface.
3. Add the leek, celery, onion, mushrooms and bouquet garni and simmer gently for up to one hour.
4. Skim the scum and fat from the surface, then strain through a sieve into a clean pan.
5. Reduce gently by simmering to the required volume and flavour.
Rate This Recipe