- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus macerating
- Effort: easy
- 115 g butter
- 175 g plain flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 100 g polenta flour
- 100 g blanched flaked almonds
- 225 g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 225 ml white wine, such as Chardonnay
- a selection of seasonal fruits, macerated in Chardonnay to serve
For the sorbet:
- 1/2 cantaloupe melon
- 200 g caster sugar
- 200 ml water
- 150 ml champagne
1. Lightly grease a 23cm square cake tin. Set the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Sieve the flour and baking powder together into a food mixer and add the salt, polenta and almonds.
2. Add the softened butter and sugar and beat until creamy. Add the eggs and the wine and continue to beat until the mixture is smooth. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 55 minutes, until well risen and springy to the touch.
3. Remove from the oven.
4. Place the melon flesh into a blender and whiz until smooth.
5. Put the sugar and water into a saucepan and heat until the sugar has dissolved. Bubble until the mixture is thickened and syrupy. Remove from the heat and add the melon purée and the champagne.
6. Churn the mixture in an ice cream maker, according to the manufacturers instructions and transfer to the freezer until required.
7. Serve the cake in squares, topped with a scoop of sorbet and the macerated fruits around the edge.
Rate This Recipe