- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced
- 1.5 kg chicken, boned with wings and legs removed
- handful of tarragon, chopped
- 100 g ricotta cheese
- 75 g sun-blushed tomatoes
- salt, and freshly ground black pepper
- 50 g unsalted butter
1. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a moderate heat and fry the shallot and garlic until soft, and then set aide.
2. Remove the leg meat from the boned chicken and coarsely chop by hand, then place into a food processor and blitz until smooth (If you want the filling really smooth put the meat through a sieve).
3. Place the meat into a bowl and add the tarragon, ricotta, sun blushed tomatoes and the cooked shallot and garlic mixture.
4. Set the oven to 200°C/gas 6. Place two sheets of foil on top of each other and liberally smear with 30g of the butter. Then put the chicken, skin side down, on to the buttered area. Season the chicken and place the filling on to the meat in the area where the two breasts meet. Fold over to make a sausage shape and then wrap tightly in the foil.
5. Place the chicken into a clean ovenproof frying pan and add a cup of boiled water. You can use a roasting pan, but the frying pan is a good conductor of heat and the water speeds up the cooking process. Roast for about 35 minutes.
6. Remove from the foil and discard any liquid. Place back in the pan and add a knob of butter and put it back in the oven for a further 10-15 minutes, until golden and cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow the chicken to rest for 10-15 minutes.
7. Slice and serve with a green bean and olive salad, or your favourite sauce.
Rate This Recipe