- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1 head garlic
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red chilli
- 1 red pepper
- 3 sprigs rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 lemon
- 1.5 kg chicken, whole
- 50 g butter
- 200 ml veal stock
- black pepper
For the vegetables
- 1 courgette, sliced
- 1 red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 220C/gas 8.
2. Shave the tip of the garlic bulb away to expose the cloves. Place the garlic bulb in a roasting tray, drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and cover with kitchen foil. Add the chilli and red pepper to the tray (without wrapping them in foil) and roast until softened.
3. Remove the garlic when it is soft to the touch - about 20-30 minutes. The red pepper and chilli will be done after about 15 minutes.
4. Allow to cool and remove the skin from the pepper with a sharp knife. Remove the garlic cloves from their skins.
5. Put the chilli, pepper, rosemary, olive oil, roasted garlic, salt, black pepper and cumin together in a food processor and blitz to a paste.
6. Cut the lemon in half and place one half in the chicken cavity. Gently push half of the butter under the skin of the chicken and smear the spice mix over the chicken.
7. Squeeze the other half of the lemon over, cover with foil and place in a roasting pan. Roast for 30 minutes.
8. Remove the foil and roast for a further 30 minutes.
9. Meanwhile lay the vegetables on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and roast for 15 minutes.
10. When the chicken has cooked, remove from the roasting pan and leave to rest for 20 minutes in a warm place. Add the stock to the pan juices and whisk in the remaining butter. Carve the chicken and serve immediately with the vegetables and sauce.
Rate This Recipe