- Serves: makes 1 loaf
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: easy
- 250 g strong bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- 250 g wholemeal flour
- 20 g baking powder
- 40 g caster sugar
- 75 g unsalted butter, softened
- 200 ml buttermilk
- 100 ml soured cream
- 150 g cheddar cheese
- 1 onions, chopped and gently fried in a little sunflower or vegetable oil until softened but not browned
1. Preheat the oven to 200C /gas 6. Line a baking sheet.
2. Place the flours, baking powder and sugar in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and work in the butter, buttermilk, soured cream, Cheddar cheese and fried onion to make a soft dough.
3. Shape the dough into a ball. Flatten slightly and cut a cross into the top, then dust the top with a little flour.
4. Place the loaf on a lined baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Soda Bread Recipes
Rate This Recipe