- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the soup
- 50 g butter
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 potato, peeled and chopped into 1cm cubes
- 250 g wild garlic
- 1.1 litres chicken stock
- 150 ml double cream
For the poached eggs
- 4 eggs
- dashes of white wine vinegar
For the crisp bacon and croutons
- 1 tbsp butter
- 200 g smoked bacon, finely chopped
- 1 sticks French bread
- olive oil, to drizzle
- pinches cayenne pepper
1. For the soup: melt the butter in a large pan until foaming, then add the onion and gently fry for 3-4 minutes, or until softened byt not coloured. Add the chopped potato and cover with the chicken stock. Cover with a lid and simmer gently for 10-12 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
2. Add the wild garlic leaves and stir for about 30 seconds, until wilted. Using a stick blender, blend the soup until smooth and then pass through a fine sieve. To preserv the vibrant green colour of the soup, place the large chunks of ice into a bowl and pour over the soup. When chilled, strain the soup again, leaving behind the ice. Stir in the cream.
3. For the poached eggs: bring a deep pan of water to the boil, then add a splash of vinegar and reduce the heat until the water is barely simmering. Crack the eggs into the pan and gently poach for 3-4 minutes, or until the egg is cooked to your liking. Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
4. Preheat the oven to 140C/120C fan/gas 1.
5. For the bacon and croutons: melt the butter in a frying pan until foaming, add the bacon and fry for 4-5 minutes, or until golden-brown and crisp. Drain on kitchen paper.
5. Thinly slice the French stick and place onto a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with cayenne pepper. Bake in the oven for 5-6 minutes, or until golden-brown and crisp.
6. To serve, place a poached egg into the centre of each bowl. Heat the soup through, then pour over the egg. Sprinkle over the crisp bacon bits and serve with the croutons.
Rate This Recipe