- Serves: 1-2
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 2-3 dried morel mushrooms, or porcini mushrooms
- 225 g mixed wild mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 45 ml sweet sherry
- 100 ml double cream
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- 25 g unsalted butter, melted
- 4 sheets filo pastry
- 6 slices wafer-thin air-dried ham
- sprig chives, chopped
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Just cover the dried mushrooms with hot water in a bowl, clingfilm the bowl and leave to soak for 15 minutes.
3. Remove the mushrooms and wash under cold running water, then squeeze out in a clean cloth before chopping finely. Pass the soaking water through several layers of muslin to remove any grit.
4. Heat a teaspoon of butter in a pan and gently soften the shallot and garlic for a few minutes over a medium heat. Add the sliced mushrooms, cook for another few minutes until they let their juices run, then add the chopped re-hydrated mushrooms.
5. Cook for another 5 minutes before pouring in the sherry and soaking water. Bring back to the boil and simmer gently for 8 minutes, then add the cream and season to taste with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
6. Drain through a sieve, retaining the sauce in a clean saucepan.
7. Grease a shallow mould with the melted butter, cut and butter the strips of filo pastry before laying them criss-cross in the bottom of the mould. Fill with the strained mushroom mixture and loosely fold over the filo strips to enclose the mixture. Cook straight away in the oven for 8-10 minutes.
8. Once removed from the oven, unmould and brush lightly with any remaining butter.
9. Place ruffled slices of ham on a dry non-stick baking sheet and place in the oven to crisp, about 5 minutes.
10. Reheat the sauce in a pan and add the chopped chives. Spoon the sauce onto a plate and put the pie in the centre of the plate. Surround with the crisp ham ruffles and serve.
Rate This Recipe