- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 450 g pre-made shortcrust pastry
- 1 egg
- pinches salt
- 1 tbsp water
For the filling
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large Spanish onions, finely sliced
- 30 g butter
- 350 g mixed wild and chestnut mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 300 avocados, in oilhalved, available in jars or from deli counters
- 145 ml soured cream
- 125 g Parma ham
- 3 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
- freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to Gas 200C/gas 6.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry into a circle, about the size of a very large dinner plate, 0.25cm thickness. Transfer to a non stick baking sheet and leave to rest in the fridge for 10 minutes, or longer.
3. Heat the oil in a saucepan and gently fry the onion for 20-25 minutes, until lightly browned and softened. Leave to cool. Heat another pan with the butter and fry the mushrooms and garlic for a few minutes, to soften. Set aside.
4. Pile the onions and artichokes onto the pastry round, leaving a 1.5cm border around the edge. Top with the cooled mushrooms. Fold over the pastry border to create a slightly raised lip.
5. Combine the egg with the salt and water. Use the glaze to brush over the edge of the pastry.
6. Bake the pie for 20-25 minutes, until the pastry is crisp and golden brown. While the pie is cooking, fry the Parma ham until crisp and scatter over the pie. Garnish with chopped parsley. Serve straight away with soured cream on the side.
Rate This Recipe