- Effort: easy
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 100 g brown rice
- 100 g wild rice
- 3 tbsp butter, or margarine
- 3 onions, sliced in thin wedges
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 165 g sweetened dried cranberries
- ½ orange rind, finely grated
1. Combine the chicken stock, brown and wild rice in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over a medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
2. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a medium, heavy-based frying pan over a medium high heat. Add in the onions and brown sugar.
3. Fry, stirring often, for 6 minutes, until the onions are soft and translucent. Reduce the heat to low and gently fry the onions, stirring often, for 25 minutes or until they are caramel in colour.
4. Stir in the dried cranberries. Cover and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes or until the cranberries swell.
5. Gently fold the cranberry mixture and orange zest into the cooked rice. Serve.
Rate This Recipe