- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 1 hr chilling
- Effort: medium
For the bubble and squeak cakes
- 2 potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 150 g cavolo nero, chard, or greens, chopped and wilted
- 50 g grated parmesan
- 15 g butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp prepared mustard
- 1 egg yolk
- 50 g plain flour, for dusting/shaping
- 2 tsp oil
- 4 x 175 g sea trout, , skinned
For the sauce
- 180 ml fish stock
- 125 ml Prosecco or white wine
- 1 tub quark
1. To make the bubble and squeak cakes: mix the mashed potatoes with the greens, parmesan, butter, mustard and egg yolk and season with salt and pepper. Shape the mixture into 4 cakes with floured hands and put in the fridge for about 1 hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 170C/gas 3.
3. Heat half the oil in a frying pan. Brown the cakes on both sides then transfer to a baking tray and place in the oven for about 15-20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile heat another pan or griddle and brush with the remaining oil. Season the fish and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove the fish from the pan and keep warm.
5. For the sauce: pour the fish stock and prosecco wine into the pan and bring to the boil. Cook steadily for a few minutes until reduced a little. Add the quark to make a soft creamy sauce.
6. To serve: place a potato cake in the centre of each plate and top with a piece of fish. Pour the champagne sauce over and serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe