- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 5 chinese dried mushrooms
- 1.5 litres chicken stock
- 250 g shredded Chinese cabbage
- 60 ml light soy sauce
- 60 ml rice wine
- 30 ml chinese black vinegar
- 100 g dried rice noodles
- 500 g prawns, (buy de-veined fresh or frozen with tails on)
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- 40 g bean sprouts
- a generous handful of fresh coriander, stalks removed, roughly chopped
- salt, to taste
For the wontons:
- 50 g chicken breasts
- 50 g minced pork
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 1 tbsp plum sauce
- 12 wonton wrappers
- 1 egg, beaten
Tips and Suggestions
The wontons can be prepared the day before serving and kept overnight in the fridge. They can also be frozen at this stage too.
1. Put the Chinese mushrooms in boiling water for 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, make the wontons by blending the chicken, pork, garlic, ginger and plum sauce in a food processor. Brush the edges of the wonton wrappers with beaten egg. Place a teaspoonful of the filling into the centre of a wonton. Take hold of the opposite corners of the wonton wrapper bring them to the centre and press together. Do the same with the remaining corners so you have a small purse shape. Set aside.
3. Drain and chop the Chinese mushrooms.
4. Bring the stock to boil in large pan.
5. Add the mushrooms, cabbage, soy sauce, rice wine, rice vinegar and wontons, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Add the rice noodles and prawns.
7. Stir in the spring onions, beansprouts and coriander then season to taste.
8. Divide the noodles evenly between the serving bowls, then ladle over the soup.
Rate This Recipe