- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus 1 hour chilling
- Effort: easy
For the rarebit topping
- 275 ml ale
- 200 ml double cream
- 400 g cornish yarg cheese, broken into pieces
- 50 g fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 heaped tbsp English mustard
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 10 drops Worcestershire sauce
- 5 drops tabasco, sauce
- 2 egg yolks
- olive oil, for greasing and dressing the salad
- 4 fresh mackerel, filleted
- tomatoes, salad, to serve
1. For the rarebit topping: pour the ale in a medium saucepan and boil over a high heat for 5 minutes or until reduced to a glaze. Turn the heat down to medium and stir in the double cream. Simmer for 5 minutes or until reduced in volume by half.
2. Take the pan off the heat, add the cheese and stir until melted. Add the rest of the rarebit ingredients and stir together.
3. Line a baking tray with a sheet of baking parchment then pour the rarebit topping onto the paper and spread out. Cover with another piece of parchment paper then transfer to the freezer for one hour or until set firm.
4. To serve: preheat the grill to medium. Line a grill pan with foil and lightly grease with olive oil. Arrange the mackerel fillets, skin-side-up, on the foil.
5. Take the rarebit topping out of the freezer and cut into portions the same size as the mackerel fillets. Lay a piece of rarebit topping on each fillet then transfer to the grill for 5 minutes, or until the fish is cooked and the topping is golden and bubbling.
6. Serve straight away with a tomato salad drizzled with a little olive oil.
Rate This Recipe