- Serves: 4-8
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 15-20 mins churning
- Effort: medium
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, oftened
- 6 tbsp buttermilk
- 3 large egg whites
- 150 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 01 oranges, grated zest only
- 0 1 limes, grated zest only
- 1 mango, eeled and sliced
- 1 small pineapple, eeled and sliced
- 2 bananas
- 2 tbsp raw cane sugar
For the lemon sherbet
- 350 g plain yogurt
- 01 lemons, grated zest only
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 vanilla pods, plit lengthways
- 350 g sugar syrup, ade from equal parts sugar and water, cooled and chilled
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas 5.
2. In a mixing bowl, cream the butter with 100g of the caster sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add in the remaining caster sugar and beat until incorporated. Gradually add in the buttermilk.
4. Add the egg whites, one at a time.
5. In another bowl stir together the flour and baking powder.
6. Add the flour into the butter mixture with the vanilla extract and orange and lime zests and mix together.
7. Pour the mixture into a greased and floured, loose-based 20cm cake tin, spreading evenly.
8. Arrange the mango, pineapple, and banana decoratively on the top and sprinkle with raw cane sugar.
9. Bake for 45 minutes at 190°C/gas 5.
10. To make the lemon sherbet, mix together the yoghurt, lemon zest and juice, vanilla bean and sugar syrup in a bowl.
11. Churn the yoghurt mixture in an ice cream maker until frozen, around 15-20 minutes. Store in the freezer until required.
12. Let the torte cool slightly and cut into 4-8 slices.
13. To serve, put a warm slice of torte on a serving plate with a small scoop of lemon sherbet.
Rate This Recipe