- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 8 baby courgettes, or 4 medium courgettes
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp finely chopped onions
- 150 g minced veal or lean beef
- 35 g minced prosciutto
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 35 g unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 60 g parmesan, freshly grated
- a few basil
- 350 ml tomato sauce, or tomato puree
- extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Heat a large pan of water. When it reaches the boil, add the courgettes and cook for 5 minutes. Drain and cool for a couple of minutes then slice them in half lengthwise.
3. Carefully scoop out the pulp into a mixing bowl, making sure not to break the shell of the courgettes.
4. Melt the butter in a frying pan and fry the onion until just softened. Add the veal or beef and cook gently for one minute. Add the prosciutto and continue cooking until the meat is thoroughly browned.
5. Drain all the cooking fat from the pan and add the meat and onion mixture to the courgette pulp. Stir in the eggs, breadcrumbs, parmesan and basil. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
6. Spoon the mixture into the courgette halves.
7. Pour the tomato sauce into a large baking dish that has been lightly greased with olive oil. Carefully place the courgettes into the dish and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the filling is browned but not overdone.
8. Serve hot, warm or at room temperature with a bit of tomato sauce from the dish.
Rate This Recipe